Sunday, June 7, 2009

When Wild Swans Attack!!!



We went to Austin to celebrate my sister's b-day this weekend. Eventful does not quite cover the experience. Saturday, we began the day by baking a birthday cake. The girls LOVED getting to help Mimi bake the cake. Their favorite part was clean-up! As if Payton's face was not proof of that. After the cake was ready to go, we all started getting ready for our kayaking adventure. The girls were playing while I was upstairs getting ready, when I heard the loudest shrillest cry ever from Payton (and that's saying something.) I ran down to find her in her daddy's arms with some blood on her poor little head. She had fallen off a ride on toy backwards and split her head open a little on the corner of a cabinet. We took her to the emergency room where they numbed her skin, then gave her a little goofy gas up her nose to calm her, then they proceeded to put 3 skin staples in my poor baby's head. 3 shiny silver staples that look like they could also be used in Alan's staple gun in the garage! Yuck! She cried pretty hard for that, but the second it was over, she was back to her silly self again. It was as if nothing ever happened. (For her, not me! I wanted to wrap her in bubble wrap for the remainder of the weekend.) We left the emergency room and went for some pizza where she clowned around like a little goofball the entire time. When we were all full, we went on down to go for a kayak ride. Let's just say drama was our friend this weekend. Two beautiful swans were swimming in the Colorado River with their babies. We loved looking at them. Until, that is, they came closer and closer and closer and finally they had our kayak surrounded. Alan had mentioned earlier how he'd like to see one of those things attack...be careful what you wish for. After quite the stare down and lots of screaming and panicking from me and the girls (and NO reaction from our "protector" Alan) one of the swans finally gave him what he wanted. It tried to attack his back, but only got the back of the kayak. That pretty much did it for me and the girls, we were done with kayaking. Payton was done before we even really got started :) We quit early and let the girls put their feet in the water. D-R-A-M-A!!! The rest of the weekend was lovely and calm, but then again, what else could possibly have happened. We had a nice BBQ dinner at the house Sat. night and Sunday went to church and then PF Chang's for lunch! Hope it was a happy b-day Tonya!






Mimi and the girls baking
Payton got to lick the spoonsMommy and Payton in the ERDaddy holding Payton while her goofy gas takes effectDr. putting STAPLES in my baby's headthe 3 staplesthe happy girl after her procedureback to her old self again just minutes after leaving the ER...now time for lunch!finally back with big sister and she is chowing down on some yummy pizzakayaking before the dramaThe swans are circling our kayak...about to attack, we are NOT happy!don't know why Payton is smiling, she didn't like kayaking at all before or after the swansback to safety!!!we survived the attack of the wild swans!!!I am pretty sure my mom has some pretty funny pictures of our kayak under attack, so I will try to get those from her.

4 comments:

Kara said...

Wow...what an eventful post! I can't believe they had to staple her head...ouch!

Your girls are just too cute!

Tara Powell said...

oh my gosh! I needed a warning before seeing those pictures! Poor Payton. I hope those staples get to come out soon!

Marc and Kathy said...

Staples?! Staples?! Whatever happened to simple stitches? YIKES! I probably would have been a nervous wreck...I can't even stand the shots! Ask Marc=)

Anonymous said...

So sorry about poor Payton's head and for her mommy, I can only imagine how stressful that was. I am so surprised that Harrison has not visited the ER yet...better go find some wood to knock on now!

Let us know details of our lake trip. Is it still on? We would love to go if it works out. We want some fun in the sun with yall!
Love,
Steph